Saturday, December 25, 2010

if Binayak sen is guilty of sedition, so am I...

Every time i wish to shed the negativism that has crept inside my thinking, opinion, writings regarding the state of my country, every time i wish to celebrate hope, development, something sad, outright disgusting crops up. I am ashamed, not only of my country's castrated judiciary, corrupt politicians but also of the shameless apathy of my countrymen.
67 year old Dr. Binayak Sen, working in rural tribal areas of Chhatisgarh for his entire life, was sentenced to life imprisonment, charged guilty of sedition for his alleged connections with the Naxalite movement. If being sympathetic to the movement counts as sedition, I openly proclaim that I am sympathetic too. I might not agree to the means the movement has adopted, but that does not make me a lesser advocate of the goals the movement began with. If violence is what the Naxalites are condemned for, the injustice and violence on the part of Government and Police are no less condemnable. And if I need to choose, i would choose the Naxalites as the lesser evil of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment